The first few months with a newborn

Go down

The first few months with a newborn

Post  jeannie_r on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:16 pm

What am I in for?

This is my first baby so I have next to no idea. I've been reading online and in books and there's talk of feeding every 2 hours or so, and changing 8-10 diapers a day. What was it like for you? How do you even leave the house?

jeannie_r

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The first few months with a newborn

Post  drankid on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Im a first timer too, so i have no clue. But i do know that breast fed babies go through less diapers a couple months down the road. So thats something to look forward to i guess. Idk about leaving the house though. I dont plan on having mine out for the first six weeks until their immune systems are more solid. People and their germs freak me out.

drankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeannie_r on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Im similarly germ phobic!

jeannie_r

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:04 pm

the first two weeks are the hardest, because they don't have any sort of "schedule." I seriously would cry when my lo would wake up, because i was just so tired. I also had to sleep sitting up holding him in the same position he fell asleep breastfeeding in. I didn't realize how i took laying flat on bed for granted, until i didn't get too. Before too long though, they'll settle in to their own little schedule, and you will too. It was harder for me with this baby, because i have a 3 year old, and their naps never synced up. I know it sounds cliche, but your instincts with the baby will kick in, and you'll learn what the baby needs by the way it cries. Just be prepared to hold them a lot the first couple of weeks. It's no cakewalk, but there is nothing more amazing that holding your baby and realizing that he's happy, and warm and loved, and its all because of what you (and s/o, family ect, but mostly you Razz) are doing.

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:15 pm

also, once they sort of settle in, you'll know when they're hungry. People kept telling me to set a feeding schedule with my first, and second too, but if my baby was hungry i fed him until he wasn't. I wasn't going to not feed him just because enough hours hadn't passed. Just use your best judgement. I do recommend stopping every 1/2 to 1 oz and burping the baby. If you are breastfeeding and not able to count oz, just every 10-15 mins or so. It helps a lot to with gas, obviously lol, and helps them eat better.
My lo was also about 3 months before i took him out, but he was a summer baby, and i didn't have to worry with extra clothes and blankets, sicknesses and things like that. I didn't go out much, but it was because he hated his carseat. Screamed constantly in it and refused to go to sleep in the carseat. Complete opposite of my first - he slept in his carseat the first couple of months lol. So its true how every baby is different, even if they're siblings.
I'm no expert, but i'll answer the best i can Wink

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeannie_r on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Jessiebelle - thank you. That's the kind of thing Im wanting to know, not just schedules and times that sound so clinical, but what it actually feels like to do those kinds of things. Im kind of freaked out because I dont really think of myself as a highly maternal person (Im likely to hold my baby upside down) and I worry that when it comes time for those instincts to kick in that they just wont appear! DH and I live faaaar from family, and it's only just dawned on me that this is going to be really hard without them.

jeannie_r

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Glad i could help, and if you have anything else you want to know about, i'm here to ask!
I had never changed a diaper until i had my son. Never babysat an infant, and had only held 2, and that was about 5 minutes a piece. If my maternal instincts kicked in, yours will too lol!
I was blessed enough to have my family close by to help, and my husband, (who actually changed diapers the first week) helped loads before he went back to work. Then it was just us. But the more you're with them, and interact with them, the easier it gets. As much as doctors and psychiatrists, and book authors, and everyone else likes to believe, there are no set guidelines to raise a baby. Yes there are things that help, but they're nothing compared to actually doing it. It's scary, and hard, and wonderful and magical all at once. (<--disney, eat your heart out)
Just remember that it does get easier and easier, and time will fly by. I can't believe that mine is a week away from 7 months.
Also, when you're changing diapers, have the new one already unfolded and ready to use, and the wipes opened and ready to go. This cuts down on getting pee-peed and pooped on. Especially with little boys Wink
When you start to feed them, have a burp cloth and/or some napkins close at hand, because, 9 times out of 10, you'll be glad you used a burp cloth. Plus, if its right with you, you wont have to disturb the feeding by putting them down and going to find some.
I can't really think of any more little tidbits, but when i do, i'll be sure to post them here!

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeannie_r on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Im having nightmares of just how much vomit, poop and pee there will be.

Thank you, again. xx

jeannie_r

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drankid on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Awwe (: thanks so much jessie. That makes me feel a lot better too.

drankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Wink
its not that bad, just don't hold them above your eye line with your mouth open. you'll be fine.

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeannie_r on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 pm

No
jessiebelle, If you are talking about what I think you are talking about - I am going to make sure I remember that. OMG.

jeannie_r

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 am

oh yes.
Thankfully it was not my open mouth that my son graced with the contents of his belly, but i learned all the same.

Don't move them around to fast, or pick them up and down a lot, or bounce them right after they eat, because it causes the left over air in their tummy to move, (even if they were burped fine) and the majority of the time it causes them to spit up.

LoL I am so sorry, i really don't mean to scare you! You just learn little things as you go along.

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am

newborns - they have more special instructions than Gremlins. Wink

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drankid on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:47 am

so.. kinda like a cat hey? dont pick them up or annoy them or you get punished.

drankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessiebelle on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:25 pm

yes, only slightly less evil. slightly. Wink
Newborns - there is nothing more magical or scary at the same time.

jessiebelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down