Rants and Raves
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

you wonderful satan worshipper you.

4 posters

Go down

you wonderful satan worshipper you. Empty you wonderful satan worshipper you.

Post  drankid Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Totally just kidding. I just wanted you to know mamahoff, that id also take you up on that offer to learn about satanism. All religion is interesting, and learning about them increases tolerance and knowledge.

drankid

Back to top Go down

you wonderful satan worshipper you. Empty Re: you wonderful satan worshipper you.

Post  jeannie_r Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:56 pm

I thought all of mamahoff's replies to that thread were great.

Sign me up for the Satanism class too, please.

Oh - and as for 'nice and polite' JW's door knocking who respectfully leave after you've politely asked them to.... I've never met any. Not in 3 countries and countless suburbs / districts/ states. Pushy, overly zealous rude ones however are in no short supply.

jeannie_r

Back to top Go down

you wonderful satan worshipper you. Empty Re: you wonderful satan worshipper you.

Post  drankid Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm

*shrug* thats too bad.
if i knocked on your door, id leave you alone.

drankid

Back to top Go down

Post  jeannie_r Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm one of those people who is ultra polite to strangers because being rude mortifies me. Despite listening politely, explaining in a respectful fashion that I admire their spirituality and respect their actions, but that I am personally not interested in taking pamphlets or discussing my religion, I have seriously - not exaggerating only had rude responses.

When I was working night shift and had a sign taped to my door "Night Shift Worker sleeping, please do not disturb" JWs would repeatedly buzz my doorbell and knock insistently until I answered the door... When I politely declined another one and went to shut my door, he jammed his foot in my door - which frightened me - I've been attacked before... When I respectfully declined pamphlets they were jammed in my letterbox... and so on.

I dont know what the conversion rate is or how much interest is generated by door knocking. I hope it's worth it because I really do feel for the people who are out there getting rude responses and doors slammed in their faces. I just wish my experiences had been more positive.

jeannie_r

Back to top Go down

Post  drankid Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18 pm

that really is too bad then. im sorry. i wish it were otherwise for you.

if it makes you feel any better, the ones who do that annoy other witnesses too. this isnt an excuse for their behaviour, but it does help explain why. back in the forties and fifties, when religion was more prevalent, especially christianity, the norm back then was to be forceful and rude, sticking feet in doors, walking around with sandwich boards, and blaring a message from vans with speakers. thats just what they did back then. a lot of the older generation havent let that go, and have also unfortunately taught their children to do the same. its really too bad, because it makes the rest of us look REALLY bad.

once actually, there was an elderly woman in our congregation who started to cuss someone out on their doorstep. SO NOT APPROPRIATE. we actually had to pull her away from the house... anyways. she was counseled on it, and never did it again. we try our best to curb that kind of thing, but you do get the over excited, zealot-y types with every religion.

it is all worth it for us though, believe it or not. the latest numbers i have for you are from the end of 2008; i couldnt find my other more current books. but anyways, the number baptized in that year was 289, 678. baptism is what you could call a 'total conversion' if you wish, as its a choice only made by those who have decided this life is for them. so that averages to 793 people a day worldwide. however, compared to how many bible studies are conducted each month, that only works out to be a four percent conversion rate.

when the focus of our preaching is just to inform people of whats in their bibles, and how it could potentially better their lives, 800 people a day is a huge accomplishment. to me at least.

drankid

Back to top Go down

Post  jeannie_r Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I can understand getting really worked up and zealot-y about things, I know I get worked up about political issues and can get upset with people that don't see my point. I guess I wish it just didn't have to happen on my doorstep, but maybe I have felt more vulnerable than others (living alone for a long while, always being new in town) so it makes me feel particularly sensitive about people turning up uninvited to my house.

Those conversion rates are amazing. If that's what it takes to make that many people happier / reach a better place spiritually, good for you and them too.

jeannie_r

Back to top Go down

Post  drankid Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm

i can see that; its unfair for you to be made to feel uncomfortable by anyone. trust me, if it werent effective, we wouldnt be doing it. i know i wouldnt. but goddamn it all, it says right in the bible, plain as day, that we should be. so thats why we do.

drankid

Back to top Go down

Post  Cass Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 am

Can you say goddamnit ?
Shocked

Cass

Back to top Go down

Post  drankid Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Ahahaha! Technically, no. It and other cuss words fall under 'abusive speech' in the bible. But ive said and done far worse. Its just a bit hard to rid myself of certain habits.

drankid

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamahoff Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Maybe I should offer Satanism classes on BB. No? Maybe it wouldn't go over well? HAHAHA!

I only said that to prove a point. If you ask someone to be open minded about your religion, it's awfully hypocritical if you're not open minded about others religion. I did practice loosely as a teen, and had a ton of fun doing it, but when people hear that they automatically jump to the conclusion that I sacrificed goats, raped puppies, shot up heroine, and killed babies. I've only ever said jokingly "Hail Satan". It's just not part of the "religion". Satan isn't worshiped. He's more of a role model than a god. It's all about carnal desires and living your life selfishly. Perfect for a rebellious teen!

I'm really sorry I can't be here more often. My phone is an ass. However, Vince and I are switching providers hopefully next week and I'm getting the iphone 4. Fingers crossed I'll be able to hang here all day!

Mamahoff

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamahoff Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey Drankid I totally just realized you're a JW! At least I can relate to being in a religion that is completely and utterly misunderstood!

Wow, I feel really slow lol!

So I really want to pick your brain sometime. I adore learning other religions and JW is one that I'm absolutely in the dark about. I feel like if I had a better understanding then I would have more to talk to them about when they do come to my door. Plus, I'm sort of my kid's "religion teacher" because I like for them to have a wide variety of understanding. If I don't know, I can't pass on the knowledge.

Mamahoff

Back to top Go down

Post  drankid Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 pm

hahaha. i love the 'hail satan' thing. awesome. basically the only thing i know about satanism is that you DONT sacrifice and rape and pillage. lol.

and shoot! ask me whatever you want. if you want, we could start another thread about it.

and like i said, knowledge and understanding is what gives us tolerance. im so glad that you try to teach your children about so much, so they can make their own informed decisions. theres nothing worth than ignorance -.-

and w00t for new phones! i so happy for you guys!

drankid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum